Personal Information Collection Statement
The website www.rebookinspect.com.au (RedBook Inspect Website) is operated by RedBook Inspect Pty Ltd (ABN 67 125 096 077) (RedBook Inspect).
This policy sets out how RedBook Inspect and group companies within the carsales Network (see list here) collect, use, disclose and manage your personal information.
RedBook Inspect and privacy
RedBook Inspect respects the importance of your privacy and is bound by the Privacy Act (1988) (Cth) including the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and applicable privacy regulations. RedBook Inspect and the carsales Network are committed to protecting your privacy when managing your personal information and have policies and procedures to ensure that personal information is handled in accordance with the Privacy Act and the APPs.
What personal information is collected?
Personal information collected by RedBook Inspect will depend upon the circumstances of collection and on the services that we are providing to you and may include:
- identification details, which may include name, birth date, gender, security questions and answers;
- contact information which may include email address and mobile phone number;
- bank account and credit account details;
- user IDs and passwords
- services provided to you;
- your public social profile information (e.g. name, profile picture) together with the email address you used to log into your social media account;
- business information, such as ABN and licence number;
- information submitted by you in relation to your use of the RedBook Inspect service;
- information submitted in applying for or requesting a quote for a related product such as finance or insurance;
- information about the devices on which you visit the carsales Network and your activities on those devices or sites;
- third party account details (for example when you sign in through a social network);
- if you participate in any surveys we, or a third party service provider acting on our behalf, may conduct from time to time, personal information relating to your survey responses;
- if you are applying for employment with us, personal information that is relevant to such employment;
- records and content of communications with RedBook Inspect or any other person including records and content using Communications Services (as that term is defined in RedBook Terms and Conditions); and
- information obtained as a result of your use of our mobile website or application such as geo-locations and unique device identifiers.
Please note that any records and content provided in hard copy format may be stored and scanned electronically by RedBook Inspect.
RedBook Inspect and the carsales Network do not collect sensitive information as defined in the Privacy Act, such as racial or ethnicity information, political opinions or associations, criminal records (save where provided by law enforcement authorities) or health information. However, subject to obtaining your prior consent, RedBook Inspect may collect sensitive information from you in the course of considering an application for employment.
How is personal information collected?
RedBook Inspect collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you when you provide information directly to RedBook Inspect or carsales Network companies in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise) for example when you purchase services from RedBook Inspect, a carsales Network company or a third party via the carsales Network, when you subscribe to a newsletter or alert, when you enter a competition or promotion conducted by the carsales Network or in a contract with your business to provide you with our services;
- directly from you when you communicate with the carsales Network or via the Communications Services;
- from third parties, such as carsales Network companies, service providers and operators of third party websites, co-branded websites and applications (Linked Sites) and advertising served to the RedBook Inspect website by third parties or resellers of RedBook Inspect’s services;
- from social networks where you consent to that network sharing information with us, or otherwise where you have been directed by you to send us information on your behalf;
- from third party data service providers and other entities where you have directed or otherwise consented to the collecting entity (or a service provider on its behalf) sending us the data;
- through the use of carsales Network proprietary software in which personal information is stored; and
- from organisations identified or described under the heading "How is personal information disclosed" which include carsales Network companies, our service providers and other third parties so that we may provide an enhanced and more relevant user experience, service or product to you.
How is personal information used?
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to maintain appropriate business records;
- to research, develop, improve and use within carsales Network products and services and by its outsourced service providers to provide and improve their services;
- to respond to an enquiry or provide our services, products or assistance that you request from us;
- to pre-populate / customise / provide shortcuts on our website;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with carsales Network services;
- to generate statistics in relation to the carsales Network;
- for the purposes of feedback, reviews and ratings;
- to promote and market special offers and other services to you (if you do not want to receive these, please let us know by clicking here or using the unsubscribe facility in a direct marketing communication sent to you);
- for purposes connected with the operation of the carsales Network;
- for staff training and quality assurance; and
- to aggregate personal information with our third party partners for the purpose of personalising the advertising you receive from us and them; and
- to contact the winners of trade promotions run by the carsales Network.
How is personal information disclosed?
RedBook Inspect may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than RedBook Inspect including:
- carsales Network companies, staff and contractors;
- the public if you use publicly available Communications Services;
- operators of Linked Sites;
- outsourced service providers who assist RedBook Inspect to provide its services including:
- information technology providers including carriers or networks;
- marketing and market research advisers and survey providers;
- professional advisers;
- data service providers, who may also disclose your personal information to our third party partners for the purpose of personalising the advertising you receive from us and them; and
- payment providers;
- entities to whom you request we send your information;
- resellers of carsales Network services;
- organisations involved in a sale/transfer of a carsales Network company or any of its assets, business or shares;
- to assist government or regulatory authorities or police; and
- as we are required by law, for example pursuant to a subpoena or in accordance with unclaimed money legislation.
Maintaining personal information quality
RedBook Inspect strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date records. To facilitate this, please let us know if any of your details change. We may verify the accuracy of personal information we hold against information about you held by a third party. You may update certain personal information by contacting us by email at email@example.com.
How to access your personal information
You generally have a right to access your personal information, subject to a few exceptions provided by law. If you wish to access your personal information please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please remember to provide as much detail as you can as this will help us to find the information. Generally, there will be no charge for this service, however you may be required to verify your identity before any information is released to you. Depending on the volume, type or method of access to the information you request, RedBook Inspect may charge you some fees, however these will not be excessive and will not apply to the making of the request. Please note that, depending on the volume or nature of the information required, it may take a number of days to fulfil the request.
About security and personal Information
RedBook Inspect and the carsales Network take reasonable steps to protect personal information collected from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modifications or disclosure. Your personal information may be stored in hard copy documents, but is generally stored electronically on RedBook Inspect’s systems. When making any purchase from RedBook Inspect via the RedBook Inspect Website, your financial details are passed through a secure server using 128-bit SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption technology.
Transfer of personal information outside of Australia
Dealing with RedBook Inspect anonymously
You may deal with RedBook Inspect anonymously by using a pseudonym, unless RedBook Inspect is required or authorised by law to deal only with an identified person, or it is impracticable for us to respond to you if you have not identified yourself.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, RedBook Inspect may not be able to provide you with the full range of RedBook Inspect services.
When accessing the RedBook Inspect Website from a mobile device, we may request permission to collect your location from your device via the permission system used by your mobile operating system. If you consent to the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the location setting on your mobile device. However, this may limit your ability to use certain features of our services.
RedBook Inspect, Linked Sites and personal information
When you visit a website or use an application on the RedBook Inspect Website, RedBook Inspect may record anonymous information such as IP address, time, date, referring url, and other referral information, device information and location, carrier, site interactions such as your access to website features, pages accessed, content, searching activities, lead submission, and files accessed and downloaded, type of browser and operating system. Such information collected by RedBook Inspect may be linked to other information the carsales Network holds about a user, compiling a complete profile about RedBook Inspect’s users’ browsing, purchasing and other activities on the carsales Network. This data may be used by the carsales Network to categorise a user and provide personalised offers, marketing and advertising. Activity data may be shared with advertisers for these purposes where the user is already a customer of the advertiser.The carsales Network uses “cookies” and other methods to collect and store the information set out above. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (this may be as little as 30 days or up 2 years or longer in some cases). Cookies may be used by the carsales Network or by service providers engaged by the carsales Network to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the pages you visit, measure and analyse usage of the carsales Network and for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit on the carsales Network and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to those sites or other sites or platforms. Cookie data and other data may be sold, licensed or otherwise provided to third parties via advertising exchanges or other data sharing platforms for this purpose. You may adjust your Internet browser settings to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled, we may not be able to provide you with the full range of carsales Network services.
The carsales Network may use third party advertising companies to collect data and/or serve ads when you visit a website on the carsales Network. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to websites and other media in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, visit http://networkadvertising.org/.
RedBook Inspect also uses Google Analytics cookies to record visitor behaviour on the carsales Network. This information may be used together with other third party cookies such as Google advertising cookies and other personal information you may have already provided to us (or we have received from a third party with your consent) in order to personalise the advertising that you see on and off the carsales Network. The Google Analytics Advertising Features used by RedBook Inspect are called Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. You can opt out of these by visiting Google Analytics’ site here.
The carsales Network uses Nielsen/NetRatings web analytics tools to measure and analyse internet usage across the carsales Network. This service helps us measure and respond to our online consumers. The data collected does not identify a user personally. Users can access more information about their choices regarding Nielsen/NetRatings here: http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy#choices.
What if I have a problem?
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
Location and Postal Address:
449 Punt road, Cremorne, VIC 3121
Attention: Privacy Officer
The carsales Network treats complaints relating to privacy extremely seriously. If you submit a concern or complaint, we will endeavour to deal with it comprehensively and reach an outcome with which all parties are satisfied. If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint (after providing us with a reasonable time to respond) or would like further information about privacy in Australia, then we suggest that you contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website.
How this policy changes
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.
Version 4 (Sep 2017)